Columbus is the likeliest landing place for former Barca, Everton midfielder Andre Gomes

And the Blue Jackets return for a minicamp

Columbus is the likeliest landing place for former Barca, Everton midfielder Andre Gomes
The Blue Jackets, after a 13-day Olympic break, returned to the Haus of Ice on Wednesday morning. They'll be put through a weeklong minicamp before they return to regular-season action with a game at Boston on Thursday, Feb. 26.

There were on-again, off-again rumors for more than a week that Portuguese international Andre Gomes wanted to leave Lille of France's Ligue 1 on a transfer to Major League Soccer, and the Columbus Crew were in pursuit.

Gomes is indeed on his way out of Lille, the Crew have been after him and Columbus is his likeliest landing area, sources have told Disrespected Media.

The deal is not done yet.

Gomes, 32, is a central midfielder who might be seen as a replacement for club legend Darlington Nagbe, who retired after last season. Gomes has played in Portugal's Primeira Liga (Benfica), Spain's La Liga (Valencia, Barcelona) and the English Premier League (Everton).

While with Everton in 2019, Gomes sustained a gruesome injury, a broken right leg, on a tackle by Son Heung-Min; Son was then with Tottenham and now plays for LAFC. Gomes underwent surgery and returned in February, 2020.

Gomes spent 2022-23 on loan to Lille and returned to the club on a free transfer last year. Hampered by leg injuries, he has played just eight minutes for Lille thus far this season. At the moment, he is injury-free (see reports below).

L'Equipe, the venerable French sports publication, reported Wednesday afternoon:

"In early February, we revealed that the Columbus Crew (MLS) had offered a two-and-a-half-year contract to the former Barcelona player, whose substantial salary (€150,000 gross per month) was no longer commensurate with his importance to the Dogues squad. The documents are not yet signed, but his move across the Atlantic is now only a matter of hours."


"He was disrespected."

Tell me about it.

From Lavoixdunord.fr on Sunday:

Lille - Brest: "He was disrespected," the André Gomes saga at LOSC
Announced in the squad against Brest on Friday, the Portuguese player was ultimately not on the team sheet against the Bretons. And he's not injured…
"I won't comment on André Gomes' absence. I think there might be others who can do so in my place." Bruno Genesio's face froze when discussing the 32-year-old Portuguese player on Saturday evening. Because the midfielder is not currently injured.
Hampered by muscle problems for months, he had returned to team training just before the transfer window closed. The Lille coach had therefore included him in the squad for the match against Brest before ultimately leaving his name off the team sheet.
What happened in the last 24 hours? Those close to the player have told us he's struggling with the situation because things have never been clear with him. Since the start of the season, Lille has publicly stated they're counting on him. But the reality is quite different. André Gomes has only played eight minutes in Ligue 1 this season: one against Nantes and seven against Marseille in early December.
Meanwhile, the midfielder has been courted, notably by MLS clubs (Columbus Crew), and LOSC hasn't let him leave. "We disrespected him," we were told. And the declaration of love André Gomes made upon his return in September 2024 seems like a distant memory…
After being on the bench in Metz, we're also told he was available to play against Brest. Hence, no doubt, Bruno Genesio's reaction of avoiding the issue. Contacted to discuss the case of the former Barcelona player and in particular the rumor that mentioned a termination of the contract which lasts until June, which could allow Gomes to join another league for free, Olivier Létang has not yet responded to our message.

"Revealed by Bruno Genesio this afternoon during the press conference, ANDRÉ GOMES is set to leave LOSC!"


From Sport.fr on Wednesday:

LOSC should soon turn the page on André Gomes. Absent from the draw against Brest (1-1) last weekend, the 32-year-old Portuguese midfielder will also not be included in the matchday squad against Red Star Belgrade in the Europa League playoffs. In a press conference, Bruno Genesio clarified the situation: the player is currently "on the verge of leaving," thus confirming that a transfer is underway.
Already linked with a move to MLS this winter, André Gomes was approached by the Columbus Crew, who submitted a contract offer at the end of January. While Lille initially rejected the proposal, the Portuguese player was reportedly receptive to it. Discussions may have progressed in recent days, paving the way for a swift departure. A new chapter seems to be beginning for the former FC Barcelona player, whose time in northern France is drawing to a close.


Blue Jackets defenseman Denton Mateychuk surveys his domain.

The boys are back in town

Rick Bowness, who replaced Dean Evason as Blue Jackets coach on Jan. 12, has had very little practice time with his new team. Bowness hopped behind the bench as the Jackets played 11 games in 23 days, with two back-to-backs (and not counting a snowed-out game that was postponed to March 19).

The Jackets won 11 of 12, including 10 of 11 under Bowness, before they hit the Olympic break. The break paused a seven-game winning streak.

After two weeks off, the team reconvened at the Ice Haus on Wednesday. It was the start of a two-week minicamp ahead of their regular-season resumption. They've played 56 games. They have 26 to go.

Bowness returned to Columbus with a freshly cut mane. That's right. He got a haircut.

"Yeah – one a year," he said, "and then I let (wife) Judy trim it."

Bowness said he spent some time watching game video during his downtime in Florida and spotted some areas of inconsistency.

"In Winnipeg, it took me a year and a half to get rid of the 1-1-3 they played," he said. "When players are fresh, you see the good things. When they're tired, they fall back on hold habits. It's human nature. It takes time and patience, and we don't have a whole lot of either right now."

The Jackets' pre-break surge brought them to within four points of the second wild card in the East, and within four points of third place in the Metro. Their next two games – at Boston on Feb. 26 and home against the New York Islanders on the 28th – are against the teams they are just ahead in those races.

The standings at the break from nhl.com. What catches my eye is the goal differential (GF): The Jackets have gone from minus-18 to plus-2 under Rick Bowness. Yowza.

There were just three Jackets missing from practice Wednesday: winger Kirill Marchenko (lower body), who is expected on the ice Thursday; center Sean Monahan (flu), who is expected back by the weekend; and defenseman Zach Werenski (USA) and goaltender Elvis Merzlikins (Latvia), who are on Olympic duty in Milan.

"I was encouraged," Bowness said, speaking after the workout. "There was a lot of jump. The guys were anxious to be back. ... We've got a couple of tough days coming up here. We laid it out for them, so they know what to expect."

On the other side of the break is a 26-game sprint over 49 days.

"What we've done is get back in the (playoff) conversation," Bowness said. "The reality is we don't have a playoff spot. ... I know we're going to do everything we can to get in. One hundred percent, whatever happens. That's the nature of these guys."


Thanks for reading. If you're enjoying what you see and you are of a mind, click on the link below and leave a tip. If you've yet to subscribe, consider making a small hop over a paywall. It'll help keep local, independent media disrespected. You can follow me @MichaelArace1.bsky.social. Have a nice day.

Click below to leave a tip. Thanks.

The Disrespected
Michael Arace covers pro sports in flyover country. Welcome to Columbus, the Blue Jackets and the Crew.